Skip to main content

Time Strategies

Finding time to get ahead: Image

I've always considered time management to be one of my greatest "soft skills." I've never had a problem when it comes to getting work done before a deadline, and I usually try my best to work ahead however I can. I think this proficiency is what really draws me to online classes, as I really like the "work at your own pace" style that many of these classes use. However, I know that that simply isn't the case for a lot of people, and that sometimes time management can seem impossible.

As Amanda Oliver writes in her post on the topic, one of the biggest parts of developing good time management skills is avoiding procrastination. I have never really been much of a procrastinator, and I don't entirely understand the mindset in the first place. I have always had the mindset of getting my work done as soon as possible so that I don't have to worry about it later. No matter how boring or stressful the work may be, it's going to be much more stressful if I'm trying to complete it right before the deadline, so why put it off?

According to Áine Cain in her article, another problem that those that struggle with time management face is becoming easily distracted. Things like smartphones and the Internet make it more easy than ever to simply ignore the task at hand. Why worry about an essay when watching your favorite YouTuber would be much more fun? How can you possibly focus on studying when your friends are sending such funny messages in your group chat?

The strategy that I have found that works wonders for me is emphasis on establishing your own personal workflow. As a designer/writer, workflow is everything and helps you to work at your best for concentrated periods of time, allowing you to get projects done quickly and efficiently with very little distraction. Everyone's workflow is different but the two most crucial aspects is determining your preferences for time and environment.

For time it is imperative that you know yourself well enough to establish a schedule that allows you to work at maximum efficiency. Are you a morning person or night owl? Do you have a large break between classes/work on a specific day? How long can you usually work before needing a break? All of this information is crucial to determine your workflow schedule. I personally work best in the morning/afternoon (9 am - ~3pm) and I can usually work for about 1.5-2 hours before needing a break. I usually give myself 15-30 minute breaks in between to break up my work times if I need them, but I otherwise try to get as much of my work done as possible within this time window.

Environment is another incredibly important part of your workflow. Do you prefer to work alone or in a group? Do you need silence or can you not work without music playing? Can you work at home or are there too many distractions? Find the perfect environment that allows you to focus solely on your work. I know that music is a must-have for me when I'm working, and I also work best outside of my home, as it limits the amount of distractions around me, so I'll usually study/work at the library or somewhere else on campus to keep my work and home life separate.

A good workflow helps you to feel good about accomplishing your work because you know that you've put your best effort forward. I would recommend this strategy to anyone struggling with time management. Remember, the sooner you get your work done, the sooner you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Comments

  1. I also consider time management to be one of my most valuable skills. I always get my assignments for my classes done early, sometimes even weeks in advance. I find that it helps with my overall stress management also, since I don't have to worry about cramming in other assignments or tasks into my existing schedule. I agree that getting a good workflow is crucial to avoiding procrastination and boosting productivity levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brett!

    I was stopping by to thank you for your feedback on my storybook! My first story was definitely a rough draft, so I am looking forward to the revising process. I wanted to keep the general conclusion of all the perspectives the same as it was an Origin story. Mot of the perspectives saw and had to deal with similar things, although you see slightly differently, so it creates room for different insights but a cohesion as well. My next story about Persephone will no doubt contain extremely different insights and perspectives. Anyway, thanks again for your feedback, it helps to know what is going well with the readers.

    To speak on time management, the trick that helps me the most is establishing a plan. If I can coordinate my to-do list with reasonable time frames, I find myself easily blasting through the work that needs to be done. I also usually surprise myself and work ahead as I give more time than necessary for the instances I get burnt out or need more breaks than normal. I guess this is my personal workflow, so I agree that knowing your work style and ethic is important for time management strategies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Storybook Comment Wall

Mothman: Image My Storybook Project, Mythical Monsters of the New World can be found here I hope you all enjoy it, and I appreciate any feedback you can give! EDIT 3/5: I have heavily revised my Introduction, so if you have not read the new version yet, do so now!

Introduction to Brett the Graphic Designer

Hey! My name is Brett Drake and I'm a senior Public Relations major with a Classical Culture minor. I'm from the small town of Wagoner, Oklahoma (if you've heard of it, chances are you're also from northeast OK!) and while I've enjoyed my time here at OU, I can't wait to graduate in May. I want to become a graphic designer in the OKC area after graduation and help local businesses build their brands. My favorite class last semester was Digital Design (surprise, surprise) as it allowed me to really hone my skills as a designer across all different types of media. Me at the Coliseum : Photo by a friend Last summer, as I talked about in my favorite place post , I was able to study abroad in Italy for the month of June, allowing me to finally travel outside of the country for the first time in my life. While traveling abroad had its ups and downs (I arrived in Rome running on a good 3 hours of sleep and had lost my luggage), overall it was an amazing experie

Week 3 Story: Perseus, A DM's Worst Nightmare

Perseus and Andromeda, by Frederic Leighton Dan had been the Dungeon Master for his friends' Dungeons and Dragons group for a while now, and he always looked forward to their sessions on Wednesday nights. Everyone had a good time, and they had created stories that would last a lifetime, one of which was the unfortunate story of Percy. Percy was an acquaintance who was also an avid D&D player. When his group disbanded for unknown reasons, Percy asked Dan if he could join his group. Dan allowed it, welcoming Percy to the group. Percy was insistent that he should be able to keep the same character that he had played in his former campaign. Dan, not knowing what he was agreeing to, let him keep his character. When Wednesday came and everyone sat down to play, Dan began to realize his mistake.  "Alright everyone," Dan began. "When we last left off, you all had made your way to the fields of the giant monster known as Atlas. A mountain looms in the dista