Skip to main content

Mythical Monsters of the New World: Topic Research




Sasquatch: Image

I have decided to focus my storybook project on the topic of American folkloric monsters, and there is arguably no monster more famous or recognizable across the country than Bigfoot himself. The "primal, hairy ape-man" monster archetype is nothing new, and is prevalent in countries all over the world (Yeti, Yowie, Barmanou, Hibagon, Chuchuna, etc.) and the creature even has many different names across North America, such as Sasquatch, Skunk Ape, Skookum, Momo, Grassman, the Fouke Monster, the Dewey Lake Monster and the Mogollon Monster, just to name a few. Much like the creature's many different titles, its proposed behavior also differs wildly depending on the regional spin-off that is being described. Some are benevolent or benign, while others are outright hostile. The versatility of this monster will allow for greater freedom when writing about it in my storybook project.

The Mothman of West Virginia, statue by Bob Roach: Image

Mothman is a unique creature originating in the mid-1960s, whose stories and sightings are almost completely localized within Point Pleasant, West Virginia. Despite its very small area of influence, it has become one of the most well-known monsters across the country, and is massively popular within the Point Pleasant area, where they hold an annual festival dedicated to the creature. It is described as having a humanoid body with an insectile head containing red compound eyes and 7-10 foot long moth-like wings. There are no purported sightings or stories that involve Mothman actually physically interacting with any of the denizens of Point Pleasant, though it has been considered to be a sort of omen that foreshadows disaster, such as the collapse of  Point Pleasant's Silver Bridge in 1967, which killed 46 people and was ultimately connected to sightings of the Mothman. 

The Jersey Devil of, you guessed it, New Jersey: Image

A strange creature with a history that stretches back before the Revolutionary War, the Jersey Devil is legendary folkloric monster said to live in the Pine Barrens of southern New Jersey. The monsters origins date back to 1735 and are attributed to a Pine Barrens denizen known colloquially as "Mother Leeds." The story goes that Mother Leeds had 12 children, and when she became pregnant with a 13th, she cursed the child, claiming that the child would become the devil. When the child was born, it morphed into a flying, bipedal creature with hooves and a goat's head, and then flew off into the forest, where it supposedly lives to this day. There have been reported sightings of the creature dating back to its origin in the 1730s, all the way up to the 1960s, and its effects on local culture are plain as day (see, for example, the New Jersey Devils hockey team). It is also rumored that in the early 1900s, the Philadelphia Zoo offered a reward for the creature so that they could create a private exhibit for it, which fits perfectly with the setting for my original project idea. If I also decide to go the audiobook route for my project, the creature is also rumored to have a high-pitched "blood-curdling scream," so that would be fun.

These three creatures are not the only ones I plan on using for my project, just some of the most popular ones. I also plan to include stories of the Native American Wendigo of the Great Lakes region and the Chupacabra of the Southwest. Overall, I'm still pretty interested in going down the audiobook route with this story, though I'm also trying to stay open to other possibilities that may arise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storybook Comment Wall

Mothman: Image My Storybook Project, Mythical Monsters of the New World can be found here I hope you all enjoy it, and I appreciate any feedback you can give! EDIT 3/5: I have heavily revised my Introduction, so if you have not read the new version yet, do so now!

Introduction to Brett the Graphic Designer

Hey! My name is Brett Drake and I'm a senior Public Relations major with a Classical Culture minor. I'm from the small town of Wagoner, Oklahoma (if you've heard of it, chances are you're also from northeast OK!) and while I've enjoyed my time here at OU, I can't wait to graduate in May. I want to become a graphic designer in the OKC area after graduation and help local businesses build their brands. My favorite class last semester was Digital Design (surprise, surprise) as it allowed me to really hone my skills as a designer across all different types of media. Me at the Coliseum : Photo by a friend Last summer, as I talked about in my favorite place post , I was able to study abroad in Italy for the month of June, allowing me to finally travel outside of the country for the first time in my life. While traveling abroad had its ups and downs (I arrived in Rome running on a good 3 hours of sleep and had lost my luggage), overall it was an amazing experie

Week 3 Story: Perseus, A DM's Worst Nightmare

Perseus and Andromeda, by Frederic Leighton Dan had been the Dungeon Master for his friends' Dungeons and Dragons group for a while now, and he always looked forward to their sessions on Wednesday nights. Everyone had a good time, and they had created stories that would last a lifetime, one of which was the unfortunate story of Percy. Percy was an acquaintance who was also an avid D&D player. When his group disbanded for unknown reasons, Percy asked Dan if he could join his group. Dan allowed it, welcoming Percy to the group. Percy was insistent that he should be able to keep the same character that he had played in his former campaign. Dan, not knowing what he was agreeing to, let him keep his character. When Wednesday came and everyone sat down to play, Dan began to realize his mistake.  "Alright everyone," Dan began. "When we last left off, you all had made your way to the fields of the giant monster known as Atlas. A mountain looms in the dista