Skip to main content

Storybook Favorites

As a Classics minor, most of my experience with mythology and folklore is with Greek and Roman myths. Because of this, I wanted to look for storybooks that come from many different places outside of the Mediterranean. Here are my three favorite non-Greek or Roman storybooks.

Storybook 1: The Greatest Trickster

Falkland Island Fox by John Keulemans (Wikimedia)

I really enjoyed what the author did with the three stories presented here, merging together common trickster legends from three different cultures. Stories of mischievous tricksters are very common in all cultures, so it was interesting to see the three characters, Reynard, Brer Rabbit, and the Tanuki interact in a way that has never been done before, attempting to "out-trick" one another. While the website itself didn't provide much of an introduction, and the Brer Rabbit story lacked images to break up the text, the content was very enjoyable. Though I'm not entirely sure why the Tanuki didn't just shapeshift into a fish at the end.

Storybook 2: Beowulf


One of the original epic heroes of history, Beowulf's tale is one that has always interested me, but I've never actually got around to reading it. While this is no substitute for reading the entire epic, it is an enjoyable highlight reel showcasing some of the feats accomplished by the Scandinavian hero. The website design is also clean and straightforward, providing plenty of information to supplement the stories themselves.

Storybook 3: Tales of Davy Jones Locker

I have always been quite interested in the weird world of pirate mythos. The amalgamation of cultures that influence the tales mixed with the wild and weird superstitions of sailors make for folk legends unlike any other. I like the direction the author took for this storybook, inserting themselves as a character to spectate these tales and figures, without taking too much creative liberty so as to make the legends themselves unrecognizable. I also enjoyed the design choice of placing pictures throughout the stories to sort of signify who was speaking at the time, as this made the stories themselves easier to follow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storybook Comment Wall

Mothman: Image My Storybook Project, Mythical Monsters of the New World can be found here I hope you all enjoy it, and I appreciate any feedback you can give! EDIT 3/5: I have heavily revised my Introduction, so if you have not read the new version yet, do so now!

Introduction to Brett the Graphic Designer

Hey! My name is Brett Drake and I'm a senior Public Relations major with a Classical Culture minor. I'm from the small town of Wagoner, Oklahoma (if you've heard of it, chances are you're also from northeast OK!) and while I've enjoyed my time here at OU, I can't wait to graduate in May. I want to become a graphic designer in the OKC area after graduation and help local businesses build their brands. My favorite class last semester was Digital Design (surprise, surprise) as it allowed me to really hone my skills as a designer across all different types of media. Me at the Coliseum : Photo by a friend Last summer, as I talked about in my favorite place post , I was able to study abroad in Italy for the month of June, allowing me to finally travel outside of the country for the first time in my life. While traveling abroad had its ups and downs (I arrived in Rome running on a good 3 hours of sleep and had lost my luggage), overall it was an amazing experie

Week 3 Story: Perseus, A DM's Worst Nightmare

Perseus and Andromeda, by Frederic Leighton Dan had been the Dungeon Master for his friends' Dungeons and Dragons group for a while now, and he always looked forward to their sessions on Wednesday nights. Everyone had a good time, and they had created stories that would last a lifetime, one of which was the unfortunate story of Percy. Percy was an acquaintance who was also an avid D&D player. When his group disbanded for unknown reasons, Percy asked Dan if he could join his group. Dan allowed it, welcoming Percy to the group. Percy was insistent that he should be able to keep the same character that he had played in his former campaign. Dan, not knowing what he was agreeing to, let him keep his character. When Wednesday came and everyone sat down to play, Dan began to realize his mistake.  "Alright everyone," Dan began. "When we last left off, you all had made your way to the fields of the giant monster known as Atlas. A mountain looms in the dista