Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Sindbad Part A

Sindbad faces the giant: Image

The Third Voyage
Having read the Odyssey I find the similar, yet different nature of Sindbad very interesting. Unlike Odysseus, who's illustrated multiple times as a cunning, strong, macho-man, Sindbad is simply an ambitious merchant with a penchant for making it out of sticky situations. This is highlighted in Sindbad's especially perilous third voyage, where he faces off against a horde of murderous dwarves, a clan of equally murderous giants, and a flesh-eating giant snake all on the same trip. But, instead of being the trademark "valiant hero" that slays the monsters, saves his crew and returns home as a famous legend, he survives solely on the fact that he just got lucky. He's not a dashing pirate or hardened warrior, he's just the dude who happened to make it back alive.

I could definitely see myself writing a story highlighting this subversion of the tropes and ideas of the hero archetype. I could tell the story from the viewpoint of the poor man that Sindbad is telling his stories to, who has heard outlandish stories about Sindbad the Sailor and his exploits from others, and is a bit confused to hear how much other people have wildly embellished these stories. This could serve as a more realistic, cynical take on the idea of what makes a mythical hero as Sindbad helps bring the man's imagination back down to earth.

Or perhaps I could create a situation where storied heroes of all different cultures (Odysseus/Achilles, Beowulf, Sindbad, etc.) are regaling one another about their exploits, and some of the other heroes begin to call Sindbad out on his apparent lack of heroic acts and more of an overabundance of crazy situations that he got lucky in. This option could work as a way to present what each different culture values, and, by extension, what they see as heroic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storybook Comment Wall

Mothman: Image My Storybook Project, Mythical Monsters of the New World can be found here I hope you all enjoy it, and I appreciate any feedback you can give! EDIT 3/5: I have heavily revised my Introduction, so if you have not read the new version yet, do so now!

Introduction to Brett the Graphic Designer

Hey! My name is Brett Drake and I'm a senior Public Relations major with a Classical Culture minor. I'm from the small town of Wagoner, Oklahoma (if you've heard of it, chances are you're also from northeast OK!) and while I've enjoyed my time here at OU, I can't wait to graduate in May. I want to become a graphic designer in the OKC area after graduation and help local businesses build their brands. My favorite class last semester was Digital Design (surprise, surprise) as it allowed me to really hone my skills as a designer across all different types of media. Me at the Coliseum : Photo by a friend Last summer, as I talked about in my favorite place post , I was able to study abroad in Italy for the month of June, allowing me to finally travel outside of the country for the first time in my life. While traveling abroad had its ups and downs (I arrived in Rome running on a good 3 hours of sleep and had lost my luggage), overall it was an amazing experie

Week 3 Story: Perseus, A DM's Worst Nightmare

Perseus and Andromeda, by Frederic Leighton Dan had been the Dungeon Master for his friends' Dungeons and Dragons group for a while now, and he always looked forward to their sessions on Wednesday nights. Everyone had a good time, and they had created stories that would last a lifetime, one of which was the unfortunate story of Percy. Percy was an acquaintance who was also an avid D&D player. When his group disbanded for unknown reasons, Percy asked Dan if he could join his group. Dan allowed it, welcoming Percy to the group. Percy was insistent that he should be able to keep the same character that he had played in his former campaign. Dan, not knowing what he was agreeing to, let him keep his character. When Wednesday came and everyone sat down to play, Dan began to realize his mistake.  "Alright everyone," Dan began. "When we last left off, you all had made your way to the fields of the giant monster known as Atlas. A mountain looms in the dista