Skip to main content

Week 5 Story: Interview with a Legend

Sindbad the SailorImage

He finishes off another drumstick, sauce dripping onto his plate, and discards the bone gently. As he wipes his mouth with an embroidered napkin, he looks me in the eyes with a steely gaze.

"So," he asks. "Where would you like to begin?"

Wait, let me back up a bit.

Today is quite possibly the most important day of my career. I've been a reporter at the Baghdad Herald for 3 years now, and I've been searching constantly for a breakthrough that could get me out of this place. Local newspaper reporting is so incredibly dull, and I've got bigger dreams than writing articles about someone's cat being rescued from a tree. But today is the day that all of that changes, because I got an interview with Sindbad the Sailor.

I'm honestly still in disbelief about it. I mean this guy is a living legend and has turned down interviews and biography offers from international news giants, but here he is agreeing to an interview with some local nobody. Outside of the Dreamworks movie, no one knows anything about this guy, other than the fact that he was a hero who got rich off of adventures to unknown lands. Everything that comes out about him is a second-hand account from someone who knew him, and he rarely goes out in public.This is a golden opportunity, and I'm not about to screw it up.

As I sit across from him in his massive dining hall, a decadent feast spread all along the table, I start the most important interview of my life.

"How about your Third Voyage?" I reply. "There aren't many details known about your adventure on the island of Aritusia."

Sindbad smiles slightly. "That's probably a good thing, that island was a land of nightmares."

"So I've heard," I say. "But there's not many people who can make it out of a place like that alive. How did you manage to slay the giant clan that lived there?"

"Who said anything about slaying?" Sindbad chuckles. "How could a man even hope to kill a single one of those beasts, let alone an entire clan? We were able to escape the clutches of one of them, but the others still killed half of my companions with boulders as we ran."

I blink slightly, thoroughly confused. "Wait, so you didn't slay any giants?"

"Of course not," Sindbad replies.

"Well what about the dwarf clan that captured you? Or the giant serpent?" I ask. "How did you best them?"

Sindbad laughs heartily now. "Best them? Yes, I'm sure that's what others have said. Well we surrendered to the dwarves and they took our ship and left us stranded, and the serpent ate the rest of my companions while I hid in a tree shelter for 3 days. When it finally became bored with me, I spotted a ship passing by and flagged it down with my turban. They sent a raft for me, and that was the end of my time on Aritusia."

I slump into my seat, mouth wide in disbelief. "So all of those stories about you being this strong warrior, are they all fake?" 

"My friend," Sindbad says. "The only thing that I killed during my life of adventuring was a few elephants while hunting." 

"Well, what about your movie, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas?" I reply. "I mean I figured they took some creative liberty with your story, but they kind of portray you as this swashbuckling pirate."

Sindbad scoffs. "No, that movie is a complete fiction. They didn't even spell my name right so I couldn't even sue them for it."

I can't believe it. Everything that's been said about this guy has been lies. Who's going to want to hear this story? My golden opportunity is totally wasted.

"So you're not a hero at all then," I say. "You're just some old merchant who doesn't like to go outside?"

Sindbad laughs again. I'm starting to hate the sound of it. "My friend," he says. "The men I sailed with tried to be heroes, giant-slayers and all that, why not interview them?"

I grind my teeth. "None of them are exactly talkative, seeing as how they all died on your voyages."

"Exactly," he says, grinning once again. "And what about the heroes of other lands, like Achilles and Beowulf? Are they available to comment?"

"No," I reply, slowly realizing his point. "No, they're dead too."

"That's what I thought," he says. "You mean to insult me by saying that I'm not a hero, but to me that is a gracious compliment. Heroes die terrible and avoidable deaths. Heroes don't get to come home to the riches and power that they've amassed. I've lived a long, eventful life and now I get to live out my old age in the opulence that I've earned through my efforts. That's because you are correct, my friend. I'm not a hero, I'm a survivor."

I perk up at this. I can feel the inspiration starting to come to me. I'll make a story out of this guy yet. 

"Alright then," I say, erasing my questions from before. "Let's start this thing over, shall we? Tell me everything, from your perspective."

As Sindbad regales me with his tales, a headline already begins forming in my head: Sindbad the Survivor.

Author's Notes: This story is retelling of the events of the Third Voyage of Sindbad the Sailor, where he and his crew are assailed by monsters of all kinds after landing on a mysterious island. Sindbad was the only survivor of this voyage, and returned home with not only his life, but great riches as well. In the original Arabian Nights, the reader learns of the story of Sindbad through the conversations that he has with a poor stranger that he lets into his home for a meal. I simply changed the setting to a more modern time and changed the stranger into a local reporter. This storytelling style was chosen to highlight the fact that Sindbad doesn't really fit the "valiant hero" archetype that defines many other hero tales from different cultures, as he seems to survive many of the situations he finds himself in through a bit of ingenuity and pure luck.

BibliographyThe Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898).

Comments

  1. Hey Brett!

    This was such a fun interpretation of this story. I really enjoyed how you depicted Sindbad as an atypical hero. He may follow the heroes journey story-line, but seems like he ends up just a little different than the other heroes. I also like how you spun this from a negative outlook to a positive one, i.e. not being a hero is good because you don't get yourself killed etc. Your writing style is phenomenal. You have smooth transitions between dialogue and manage to make the characters feel alive. Great job, I always enjoy your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brett,
    I love your stories. They are so engaging. I wish my writing could be this good. I love the tales of Sinbad. He's one of my favorite evil characters. I love the way you changed the story to make it feel more today. I also like how you chose to highlight him in the light he was portrayed to be. I don't ever have any critiques for you, you always do great! I'm just here to keep boosting you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brett,
    I was just looking at your Storybook, and wow! I love your story of writing. It is so consistently good, and this was just another one to add to the bunch! I thought your interpretation of the story was really good, and a really interesting spin on the source material. Overall, I am really glad I got to read this story.
    Best wishes,
    Mikayla

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Storybook Comment Wall

Mothman: Image My Storybook Project, Mythical Monsters of the New World can be found here I hope you all enjoy it, and I appreciate any feedback you can give! EDIT 3/5: I have heavily revised my Introduction, so if you have not read the new version yet, do so now!

Introduction to Brett the Graphic Designer

Hey! My name is Brett Drake and I'm a senior Public Relations major with a Classical Culture minor. I'm from the small town of Wagoner, Oklahoma (if you've heard of it, chances are you're also from northeast OK!) and while I've enjoyed my time here at OU, I can't wait to graduate in May. I want to become a graphic designer in the OKC area after graduation and help local businesses build their brands. My favorite class last semester was Digital Design (surprise, surprise) as it allowed me to really hone my skills as a designer across all different types of media. Me at the Coliseum : Photo by a friend Last summer, as I talked about in my favorite place post , I was able to study abroad in Italy for the month of June, allowing me to finally travel outside of the country for the first time in my life. While traveling abroad had its ups and downs (I arrived in Rome running on a good 3 hours of sleep and had lost my luggage), overall it was an amazing experie

Week 3 Story: Perseus, A DM's Worst Nightmare

Perseus and Andromeda, by Frederic Leighton Dan had been the Dungeon Master for his friends' Dungeons and Dragons group for a while now, and he always looked forward to their sessions on Wednesday nights. Everyone had a good time, and they had created stories that would last a lifetime, one of which was the unfortunate story of Percy. Percy was an acquaintance who was also an avid D&D player. When his group disbanded for unknown reasons, Percy asked Dan if he could join his group. Dan allowed it, welcoming Percy to the group. Percy was insistent that he should be able to keep the same character that he had played in his former campaign. Dan, not knowing what he was agreeing to, let him keep his character. When Wednesday came and everyone sat down to play, Dan began to realize his mistake.  "Alright everyone," Dan began. "When we last left off, you all had made your way to the fields of the giant monster known as Atlas. A mountain looms in the dista