Skip to main content

Week 7 Story: Monkeying Around

My Favorite Customer: Image

My name is Michael, and I'm banana salesman. It's about as interesting as it sounds, but it's honest work that pays the bills. Honestly, I think I would've been out of a job a long time ago if it wasn't for Sonny. I've known Sonny for around 6 years now, and he's far and away my best customer. He stops by every Thursday and clears out my entire stock every time. I have no idea how the guy is able to eat that many bananas, but you won't find me complaining.

He's also just a good guy to hang around with too. Sure, he's kind of short, hairy, and a bit smelly, but so is Danny DeVito, and that guy's a famous actor. I don't really like to judge people too much. Sonny can hold a good conversation, and he's always got some good jokes ready to go every time he visits. Last Thursday, however, things got a bit weird at the banana booth.

Sonny came by in the afternoon, as usual, wearing that same outfit that he always wears: a simple shirt and work pants which smell oddly like fish.

"Hey there, Sonny!" I called out to him. "You want the usual today?"

"Yeah, that'd be great, Mike," he answered. "Hey, you mind if I grab one of these before you load them up?"

I motioned to the spread of banana bunches in front of me. "Not at all, buddy, pick out your favorite."

"Thanks a lot, Mike," Sonny said, reaching out a plucking a single banana. "So, how's the family been, Mike? Your wife still doing alri-"

Before I could react, someone had tackled Sonny. I jumped up from behind the booth to see what was going on, and saw Frank, the town fisherman, wrestling Sonny to the ground.

"Frank, what the hell are you doing?" I yelled. "Get off of him, man!"

Frank scrambled up to his feet, his face red and seething with rage. "I've been looking for this monkey for years now! He broke into my house, beat me unconscious and stole my clothes! He's still wearing them right now!"

I was dumbfounded. "Frank, that might be the most offensive thing I've ever heard! You can't be going around calling people monkeys, man! Sonny can't help what he looks like, and he wouldn't hurt a fly, let alone steal someone's clothes!"

"Michael, are you kidding me?!?" Frank yelled. "That's literally a monkey standing right in front of you!"

"You've got a lot of nerve, man," Sonny growled under his breath.

"I agree!" I said. "How could he be a monkey? He's speaking English right now!"

"What the hell are you talking about?" Frank said, hysterical. "He's just hooting and screeching right now!"

"Frank, you just tackled my best customer and ruined the banana he just bought!" I said.

"Oh come on, Michael," Frank answered. "It's one banana, what could it cost? $10?"

Sonny and I looked at each other, confused. "Frank, have you ever bought a banana in your life?"

"That's not the point!" Frank screamed. "He's a damn monkey and I want my clothes back!"

I knew that I had to put my foot down. "You better get out of here and stop harassing my customers, Frank, or I'm gonna call the cops!"

Frank threw his hands up and scoffed. "This is ridiculous! But, whatever, I'll leave. Animal control's gonna be all over place when I call them anyway!"

Frank stormed off, muttering to himself as he went. I walked around the front of the booth and helped Sonny to his feet. 

"I'm so sorry about that Sonny," I said. "I have no idea what got into Frank, he's normally so mild-mannered. I'll let the cops know about this. You won't have to worry about this anymore, I swear."

"Ah, that's alright Mike, it's not your fault," Sonny replied. "I'll think I'll just take my order and go, that was pretty exhausting."

"Yeah, I hear you," I said. "Let me load that up for you."

After loading up his banana box, Sonny paid for it all (with a generous tip) and was on his way. I'm pretty sure I saw him swing off of a light pole when he turned the corner. I never knew he was that acrobatic! How could someone be so rude to a guy like that? I tell you, some people have no manners these days.


Author's Note: This story was based on the "Great Sea" passage of the Monkey King unit about Sun Wu Kung. In it, Sun Wu Kung finds a fisherman after sailing to Asia to find magical knowledge, and knocks him out and steals his clothes. He then impersonates a human and lives among people for 9 years, completely undetected. Sonny represents Sun Wu Kung, and I thought it would be funny to tell the story from the perspective of an unreliable narrator that is completely ignorant of all the clues of "Sonny's" true nature. The story was told in a more modern context to make it a bit more understandable.


Bibliography - "The Ape Sun Wu Kung" in The Chinese Fairy Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921).

Comments

  1. Hi Brett!

    First of all, I don't know if that $10 banana bit was meant to be a reference to Arrested Development, but I really hope it was, because that was so spot-on. I love me some Lucille Bluth. That being said, I really enjoyed this story. It was amusing, and the dialogue felt very realistic. I like the detail of making the narrator unable to see Sonny for what he really is; it makes me wonder why he can't see, and there's something kind of endearing about him just seeing Sonny swing off a light pole and think nothing of it. Really great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brett,

    I would like to start off by saying that you did a great job with this story. This story was very amusing which allowed me to enjoy reading it. The dialogue was on point also which made the story flow very well. I love how the guy was trying to prove that the monkey was a monkey and the guy could not figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brett! This reads like an episode of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and I’m not sure if that was intentional or if I made it up because you mentioned Danny DeVito. Either way, loves it. I also read this unit and I thought that this was a great interpretation of the story! Your dialogue was so funny and this was so entertaining to read! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brett! I agree with Ryeli's above that this reminds me so much of an It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia episode. You wrote a really funny story and I love how Michael the banana salesman takes his side. Then, reading the author's note, I realized that you managed to really tie in the original story, while putting your own spin on it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brett! I loved this story, it was hilarious and so well-written. I could definitely tell from the narrator's description of Sonny that he was likely to be an actual monkey, but this is probably due to the title and the picture you used. I think it would have been even better if the title didn't give away the twist and if the picture had been at the end of the story, it would have made the reveal even better. In any case, the fact that you thought of rewriting this story from the point of view of this oblivious guy was genius, and I loved that you brought it to a modern setting, it made the dialogue feel very genuine. Overall, this was a great story and I would love to know more about Sonny's random adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Storybook Comment Wall

Mothman: Image My Storybook Project, Mythical Monsters of the New World can be found here I hope you all enjoy it, and I appreciate any feedback you can give! EDIT 3/5: I have heavily revised my Introduction, so if you have not read the new version yet, do so now!

Introduction to Brett the Graphic Designer

Hey! My name is Brett Drake and I'm a senior Public Relations major with a Classical Culture minor. I'm from the small town of Wagoner, Oklahoma (if you've heard of it, chances are you're also from northeast OK!) and while I've enjoyed my time here at OU, I can't wait to graduate in May. I want to become a graphic designer in the OKC area after graduation and help local businesses build their brands. My favorite class last semester was Digital Design (surprise, surprise) as it allowed me to really hone my skills as a designer across all different types of media. Me at the Coliseum : Photo by a friend Last summer, as I talked about in my favorite place post , I was able to study abroad in Italy for the month of June, allowing me to finally travel outside of the country for the first time in my life. While traveling abroad had its ups and downs (I arrived in Rome running on a good 3 hours of sleep and had lost my luggage), overall it was an amazing experie

Week 3 Story: Perseus, A DM's Worst Nightmare

Perseus and Andromeda, by Frederic Leighton Dan had been the Dungeon Master for his friends' Dungeons and Dragons group for a while now, and he always looked forward to their sessions on Wednesday nights. Everyone had a good time, and they had created stories that would last a lifetime, one of which was the unfortunate story of Percy. Percy was an acquaintance who was also an avid D&D player. When his group disbanded for unknown reasons, Percy asked Dan if he could join his group. Dan allowed it, welcoming Percy to the group. Percy was insistent that he should be able to keep the same character that he had played in his former campaign. Dan, not knowing what he was agreeing to, let him keep his character. When Wednesday came and everyone sat down to play, Dan began to realize his mistake.  "Alright everyone," Dan began. "When we last left off, you all had made your way to the fields of the giant monster known as Atlas. A mountain looms in the dista