Skip to main content

Week 9 Story: Good Cop, Bad Cop

The only things they're hungry for are donuts...and justice: Image Source: Hot Fuzz

Detectives Johnson and Hadley swung open the doors to the precinct, shades still on, their uniforms still covered in the dirt and grime from their recent firefight with Pablo Escobar's clone only hours before. They're met with raucous applause from their coworkers, many of whom come forward to shake hands with the superstar detectives. The chief of the precinct steps forward, a manila envelope tucked under his arm.

"Detectives," the chief says with a smile. "Good work on that Escobar case. You two can be a pain in my ass, but you're still two of the finest damn cops I've ever seen."

"All a part of the job, sir," Johnson replies. "Gotta show the bad guys that they can't run from the law."

The chief's smile leaves his face. "You're right, but I'm afraid that part of the job isn't over yet. I've got another one for you." He pulls the envelope out from under his arm.

"This one's some real serial killer shit," the chief explains. "First victim was found in Little Jamaica, a young kid named Jayden Tigre. He goes missing one night, and his body is never found. Then, about a week later, Jayden's father opens his front door to find a basket on his doorstep with his son's hand in it."

"Jesus Christ," Hadley uttered under his breath.

"Yeah, it's pretty twisted stuff," the chief replies. "I had Rudolph take point on this one while you guys were dealing with the Escobar case, but..."

The chief reaches into the envelope, pulls out a picture, and hands it to Hadley. The image is a crime scene photo showing Detective Rudolph's severed head laying on a concrete floor.

"Rudolph's dead??" Johnson exclaimed.

The chief nods somberly. "He was hot on their trail, but it seems they got the jump on him. Sick bastards. They were sloppy though. We got prints from the scene that belong to a couple of Little Jamaica residents: Roger Abbit and Adam Nansi. We've got them in custody now, but they're not talking. I need you two to go in there and figure out how deep this thing goes. For Rudolph."

"We won't let you down, chief," Hadley replies. "C'mon Johnson."

The two detectives take the envelope from the chief and head towards the interrogation room. They look inside to see two young men sitting at the table. One wears a Spider-man t-shirt and is sitting calmly looking around at the room. The other is jittery, his leg bouncing up and down as he holds his head in his hands.

"Alright Hadley," Johnson says. "How do you want to play this?"

Hadley thinks for a moment, then looks at his partner through his shades. "How about the classic? Just like Chinatown?"

Johnson smiles, his white teeth shining under his thick mustache. "Hell yeah, brother. Just like Chinatown."

The detectives step into the room, throwing the envelope down on the steel table. Hadley sits down in one of the chairs, while Johnson stays standing, leaning down to place his hands on the top of the table.

"So," Hadley says, breaking the silence. "You two must be Mr. Abbit and Mr....Nancy?"

The man in the Spider-man t-shirt speaks up. "It's Nansi, and I'm not talking to anyone except my lawyer."

"Oh, don't worry Mr. Nancy," Hadley replies. "Your lawyer is on their way, we just want to ask you a few questions in the meantime."

"Yeah," Johnson says. "Questions like: Where in the hell do you two get off on all this, huh? You sure do like cutting off body parts, don't you? You sick sons of bitches."

Abbit groans a bit as his leg begins to bounce faster. Nansi rolls his eyes. "I want my lawyer," Nansi says.

"Yeah, I would too if I were a monster like you," Johnson replies, inching closer towards Abbit. "I'd want to hide behind whatever the system would give me. God forbid you actually feel remorse for killing a child, you disgusting cretins."

Abbit's leg bounces even faster. 

"It's called a fair trial, jackass," Nansi snaps back. "We are entitled to one, in case you forgot."

"No, we didn't forget," Hadley insists. "But do you really think your side's gonna hold up in court? We got your prints and eyewitness testimonies that provide scarily accurate descriptions of both of you fleeing both crime scenes. No jury alive is gonna buy your story. Come clean, and we can work out a deal for you."

"Whatever," Nansi replies. "I'm not saying anything until they get here."

"It was him," Abbit exclaims. "It was his idea! He made me do it! I told him I just wanted to get into a little trouble as a joke!"

"What, this isn't enough trouble for you, Roger?" Nansi asks.

Abbit whips his head towards Nansi, almost jumping out of his chair. "I meant like having a few beers and pulling some pranks or something, not murdering kids and cops, you asshole! You made me cut off that cop's head! You're psychotic!"

Abbit turns towards the two detectives "I'll testify, I'll take a deal, whatever you want. Just get me away from this guy!"

The detectives look at one another. "Alright gentlemen," Hadley says. "I think we're done here. Mr. Abbit, follow us please."

The three of them leave the room and the detectives hand Abbit off to their fellow officers. 

"All in a day's work, eh partner?" Hadley says, looking toward Johnson.

"Hell yeah, brother." Johnson says, smiling.

The two bump fists and head out to their patrol car. They speed off to another adventure, rock music inexplicably playing in the background...


Author's Note: This  retelling is based off of the story Rabbit and Anansi from the Jamaican Anansi Stories unit. In the story, Rabbit asks Anansi to show him some "daytime trouble." In response to this, Anansi takes Rabbit to kill a tiger cub, and then sends a basket with some of the tiger cub's meat in it back to the cub's father. Tiger becomes enraged and asks Reindeer to catch the two troublemakers. Reindeer finds them, but Anansi gives Rabbit a razor, and they decapitate Reindeer. And that's the end of the story. I wanted there to actually be some form of retribution for the pair's actions, and I thought it would be fun to turn the story into an over-the-top buddy cop drama and just go all out with all of the tropes that the genre carries. Many of the character's names reflect the source material (R. Abbit, A. Nansi, Tigre, Rudolph). I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Bibliography: Jamaica Anansi Stories by Martha Warren Beckwith (1924).

Comments

  1. Hey Brett!

    Wonderful story! I love the theme and the style that you chose to go with. I also love me a good Anansi story. The source story for this one definitely feels like a much more gruesome and dark version of Anansi than what I was dealing with in the West African Folktales unit. But I still really enjoyed your rendition! I also chose to write an Anansi story and I'm glad that someone else took interest in the character. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brett! This was great! I really got the buddy cop drama vibe with the dialogue and the visuals here. This story is pretty dark, but you managed to make it almost funny with the two cops' banter. I also like that you brought characteristics of the animals that the characters were representing into the story; it made it easier to visualize the characters, while also connecting them to the original story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Brett,

    I would like to start off by saying that you did a really good job with this story. I like how you put a dark twist into this story and then was able to make it funny. I also like how you did a buddy cop kind of drama. The dialogue allowed me to visualize what was going on in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brett!

    I really like this retelling at is a refreshing twist on the original story as well as much darker. I also loved the back and forth between the two cops as it gave them a lot of personality in a short time while making them likable in the process. Overall though I enjoyed the retelling and can't wait to see what all else you write1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brett,

    This was a very creative way to retell this story. I got so into it and I could picture the whole thing happening as I was reading it! Seems to me like the two cops on these cases, Hadley and Johnson, are pretty badass. They got the two suspects to speak so fast! This reminds me of a chapter in cognitive psychology, which I took last semester. Someone is always likely to take a deal when it is offered to them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Storybook Comment Wall

Mothman: Image My Storybook Project, Mythical Monsters of the New World can be found here I hope you all enjoy it, and I appreciate any feedback you can give! EDIT 3/5: I have heavily revised my Introduction, so if you have not read the new version yet, do so now!

Introduction to Brett the Graphic Designer

Hey! My name is Brett Drake and I'm a senior Public Relations major with a Classical Culture minor. I'm from the small town of Wagoner, Oklahoma (if you've heard of it, chances are you're also from northeast OK!) and while I've enjoyed my time here at OU, I can't wait to graduate in May. I want to become a graphic designer in the OKC area after graduation and help local businesses build their brands. My favorite class last semester was Digital Design (surprise, surprise) as it allowed me to really hone my skills as a designer across all different types of media. Me at the Coliseum : Photo by a friend Last summer, as I talked about in my favorite place post , I was able to study abroad in Italy for the month of June, allowing me to finally travel outside of the country for the first time in my life. While traveling abroad had its ups and downs (I arrived in Rome running on a good 3 hours of sleep and had lost my luggage), overall it was an amazing experie

Week 3 Story: Perseus, A DM's Worst Nightmare

Perseus and Andromeda, by Frederic Leighton Dan had been the Dungeon Master for his friends' Dungeons and Dragons group for a while now, and he always looked forward to their sessions on Wednesday nights. Everyone had a good time, and they had created stories that would last a lifetime, one of which was the unfortunate story of Percy. Percy was an acquaintance who was also an avid D&D player. When his group disbanded for unknown reasons, Percy asked Dan if he could join his group. Dan allowed it, welcoming Percy to the group. Percy was insistent that he should be able to keep the same character that he had played in his former campaign. Dan, not knowing what he was agreeing to, let him keep his character. When Wednesday came and everyone sat down to play, Dan began to realize his mistake.  "Alright everyone," Dan began. "When we last left off, you all had made your way to the fields of the giant monster known as Atlas. A mountain looms in the dista