Skip to main content

Week 10 Storylab: Horror Microfictions Part 2

Love is a scary thing: Image


Helicopter Parent - 50 Words
My mother has always been overbearing. Even now, she still calls me every day, telling me how much she wants me to visit her. She even shows up unannounced some nights to check on me. I've gone to her grave and begged her to stop, but she just won't listen.

It's Terminal - 100 words
I love my wife more than anything in the world. It's always been just us, no kids, and we like it that way. We always said that we would be together forever. I've tried to enjoy as much time with her as I can lately, but the cancer is making it difficult. The doctors tell me that I don't have much time left. What I don't understand is why my wife keeps screaming and trying to break out of the bedroom when I'm not home. I already told her I would make it quick and painless when the time comes.

Author's Note: This is my second set of horror microfictions, and these two stories are a bit longer than my original post. It was nicer to have a little bit more length to these stories so that I could flesh out the background some more. However, I do feel that these longer microfictions lose out on some of the mystery that the shorter stories carry, which can be a good and bad thing. This time, I used the theme of love to drive the creation of these stories. Love is an incredibly powerful feeling, and the raw emotion and connection that is shown through true love can be truly terrifying when it is twisted into something dark. Let me know what you think!

Comments

  1. Hi Brett!

    I really like this idea of writing microfictions and have actually seen some before that go by a sort of challenges where they reduce the words over and over. Anyways I really like how quick you were able to create so much suspense, especially at the ending of both of these stories as they are when the stories take their dark turns respectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brett,

    It's so awesome how you did this! I tried to do this assignment once, but I had a hard time coming up with stories this short. I felt like I couldn't fit everything that I wanted to. I enjoyed how you made them horror stories but the topic was love. I feel like those two things often don't go together, but you made them fit. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brett,

    I was always interested in doing one of these extra credit assignments and really like how you did this one! The first story is very quick and short but still shows a very scary situation. The second one has a great build up and an even better plot twist at the end. I like how these stories are so unique and fun to read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Storybook Comment Wall

Mothman: Image My Storybook Project, Mythical Monsters of the New World can be found here I hope you all enjoy it, and I appreciate any feedback you can give! EDIT 3/5: I have heavily revised my Introduction, so if you have not read the new version yet, do so now!

Introduction to Brett the Graphic Designer

Hey! My name is Brett Drake and I'm a senior Public Relations major with a Classical Culture minor. I'm from the small town of Wagoner, Oklahoma (if you've heard of it, chances are you're also from northeast OK!) and while I've enjoyed my time here at OU, I can't wait to graduate in May. I want to become a graphic designer in the OKC area after graduation and help local businesses build their brands. My favorite class last semester was Digital Design (surprise, surprise) as it allowed me to really hone my skills as a designer across all different types of media. Me at the Coliseum : Photo by a friend Last summer, as I talked about in my favorite place post , I was able to study abroad in Italy for the month of June, allowing me to finally travel outside of the country for the first time in my life. While traveling abroad had its ups and downs (I arrived in Rome running on a good 3 hours of sleep and had lost my luggage), overall it was an amazing experie

Week 3 Story: Perseus, A DM's Worst Nightmare

Perseus and Andromeda, by Frederic Leighton Dan had been the Dungeon Master for his friends' Dungeons and Dragons group for a while now, and he always looked forward to their sessions on Wednesday nights. Everyone had a good time, and they had created stories that would last a lifetime, one of which was the unfortunate story of Percy. Percy was an acquaintance who was also an avid D&D player. When his group disbanded for unknown reasons, Percy asked Dan if he could join his group. Dan allowed it, welcoming Percy to the group. Percy was insistent that he should be able to keep the same character that he had played in his former campaign. Dan, not knowing what he was agreeing to, let him keep his character. When Wednesday came and everyone sat down to play, Dan began to realize his mistake.  "Alright everyone," Dan began. "When we last left off, you all had made your way to the fields of the giant monster known as Atlas. A mountain looms in the dista